Saturday, October 31, 2009

Poison ivy?

I got poison ivy on my feet and was wearing sandals. Is it ok to wash the sandals thoroughly and wear them or do I need to throw them out?
Answer:
I agree with the first guy. The allergen in Poison Ivy, urushiol, sticks to skin like mad but not much else. Any detergent should work fine, I had to clean out a large patch last year and had no relapses from improperly cleaned equipment.No other animal is allergic to poison ivy, and goats love to eat it. Nature's little joke. I am truly sorry for the pain you're goig through; I have been there too.
Yeah, you can wash them, just use a larger amount of detergent then you'd normally use. You want to make sure that the soap breaks down any oil from the Poison Ivy plant.
Also, if you can find it, get yourself a bar of Fels Naptha soap, make a really frothy lather and apply it to the areas you have blisters and let it dry, this helps dry out the poison ivy and the quicker you can do that, the quicker you will recover!
The last time I had poison ivy, I had it everywhere I had skin! (Yes, even there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net