Sunday, October 25, 2009

PLEASE HELP:Question about upper GI (Esophagus scope)?

My mom is going to the hospital tomorrow and I am rather nervous for her. They are putting her out completely for this procedure and they will do the scope and perform any necessary repairs at the time. She has been having trouble swallowing and her Esophagus spasms when she eats or drink, making her life unabarable. This is due to Raynauds which she suffers from. It is very hard to watch. I will be staying with her at home to take car of her after the procedure. How long will it take and what can she/i expect? I am freaking out slightly. . .mainly because it is my mom and I am concerned with what they might find.
Thanks
Answer:
I'm sorry I dont have more help, just wanted to wish ya'll the best and to ask if she'd ever been tested for Celiac Disease. Raynaud's is a very common secondary autoimmune disease to Celiac (as is Schlerderma (sp?))
Best of luck and here are some sites with info.Feel free to contact me for mor einfo.
Upper GI scopes are fairly routine these days. Reynaud's is not associated with trouble swallowing, are you sure she does'nt have Scleroderma? A lot of people with Scleroderma also have Reynaud's.You will find her in the recovery room a couple hours later, very groggy.
There's no telling what they'll finf or have to fix, but with Scleroderma there is often hardnening of organs and they just need to snip off some scar tissure or something.
It is totally normal for you to be nervous. The doctor will tell you how long he will expect the procedure to take. I would say recovery time would be 2 weeks at most. If she does have repairs done, keep in mind the older you get the longer the recovery usually. But it sounds like a pretty simple procedure. It is probably done with lasers and is less intrusive for her. Talk with the doctor before the procedure if you can and ask him all your questions to set your mind at ease. Most people are afraid of the unknown, remember knowledge is power. If there is something wrong you want to know and have it fixed while it still can be and turns into something worse. So don't worry about what they might find, feel good, that she will be getting the help and attention that she needs. She is going to be fine. Make sure you get some sleep tonight. I know it is very hard but you will need your strength tomorrow. Don't stress yourself out over nothing. There is nothing to worry about at this time so try to relax. You will both get through this. Be there for your mom. If you are feeling this way can you imagine how scared she feels inside? Good luck!
I had an upper endoscopy earlier this month (EGD). I don't remember anything of the procedure (which is very routine now). They hooked be up to the IV (the most painful part, to be sure). They wheeled me into the procedure room, got me sitting up, put the anesthesia in my IV, then sprayed some junk in my throat to numb the gag reflex. Nex thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery. They took a biopsy, etc.
I was groggy for the rest of the day, couldn't drink coffee or anything spicy or greasy for the rest of the day (couldn't drink coffee for a while...). Other than that, I was back to work the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net