Saturday, October 31, 2009

Please tell me what to expect with scoliosis surgery?

my son needs scoliosis surgery any one have this and what are we to expect is it good or bad
Answer:
my son who is 3 had a spinal fusion with rods in january of this year. his scoliosis was at a greater than 90 degree curvature. his scoliosis was very high in his spine-cervical/thoracic area, so he had to be in halo so his neck would not move until everything healed. the healing process is long but he was only in the hospital for about five days and of course right after surgery there was alot of swelling, which went away pretty quickly. his degree of curvature now is 46-huge improvement!! i don't know the specifics with your son, but i know there are other options like casting or bracing. i know that if the degree is greater than 50 usually surgery needs to be done and the doctors do like to wait until the child is done growing because once the bones in the spine are fused together that area in the spine will not grow, but in my son's case they could not wait because his was so severe. well i hope this answered some of your questions. good luck!!
I got this surgery when I was 13 years old. I'm now 19.Your son will experience a lot of discomfort, and the healing process is long. The hardest part is trying to get comfortable and learning to walk again, and he'll likely miss about a month of school unless he gets it done in the Summer.I'm thankful that I got it done because, otherwise, my back would be in really bad shape right now. I was only in the hospital for six days and I was walking after three days. It was amazing.After about a month I was able to go back to school and walk for long periods of time and even went to a school dance. The only things that were limited for me were contact sports and heavy lifting, as well as skiing and horsebackriding. A lot of those things your son will be able to do after an extended period of time, just ask your doctor.I really think he'll be fine and you're doing what's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net