Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Prednisone for poison ivy + weight gain?

My doctor prescribed Prednisone 10mg tablets to clear my poison ivy. I have to take the medicaton for 12 days as follows: 4 tablets daily for 3 days, then 3 tablets daily for 3 days, then 2 tablets daily for 3 dys, then 1 tablet daily for 3 days. I have read that weight gain is a side effect of Prednisone. With the amount of miligrams I am taking, will weight gain really be a factor? I do not want to gain any weight from this medication, and the doctor told me I will not gain any weight. Is this true?
Answer:
I've taken prednisone for poison ivy reactions and didn't gain weight. You don't take it long enough to have that side effect. You only take the full dose for a couple weeks until the allergic reaction resolves then you taper off. People can gain weight but it's people who have to take it for longer periods for more chronic conditions.
No, weight gain is for long term use, that is why the doctor is eliminating a pill a day to wean you off of it.
hey, i just got put on the same thing and i am really curious about that too. mine is for 8 days though. I am on day 3 today. so far i have not gained weight, have you? i am trying to stay very active, like walking 2 miles every morning and such. good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net