Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Prednisone and anxiety depression?

My father has Emphysema, has been on 40mg Pred. for months now, and his new Dr is weaning him off 20mg at a time over the next couple of weeks, he says he feels horrible, no energy, depressed and anxious, anyone have any input for me?
Answer:
WOW! I have never heard of dropping so quickly before. I was weaned down to 15 mg. and have a difficult time getting to 10 mg. Yesterday my doctor made me go to 10 mg. for 30 days. Then I am sure he will attempt dropping to 5 mg. for 30 days in hopes I can do it and be rid of the Prednisone until I get sick again. I take Xanax for my anxiety and I could not live without it. My pulmonary doctor does not believe in that either. I get it from my primary care doctor. My pulmonary doctor's attitude is, "live with it." I don't like him much. I feel very badly for your dad. I know what he is experiencing. I think that drop is way too much to expect from anyone with emphysema. I couldn't do it.
prednisone sucks. I take it pretty often for Cystic Fibrosis. When you have been on high doses like that and weaning off your body doesn't know how to react and its almost like withdrawals. His dr is right about the riding it out but he should only be dropping like 5 mg every couple weeks not 20. that could be the problem right there. His dr should consider going at a slower pace.
I agree. 40 to 20 mg is a big drop. He needs to be slowly weaned off. Ultimately your dr is right, the withdrawal symptoms have to be ridden out.
I had one Dr start me oon 70 mg of predisone, weened me off 10 mg per week down to 10 mg, My pulmanologist made the final doses of 5 mg I found that they gave me too many meds for emphysema. I weaned my self off from all but 2 drugs and began to feel better I do only spiriva for long term and asmenex for wheezing with albuterol as a resuce drug hth

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net