Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Positive UA for alcohol caused by diabetes?

I recently entered treatment for alcoholism and did the urine test. It came back positive for ethanol, and the glucose screen was positive also. I had not had a drop of alcohol in 24 days at that time (am now on day 37!) Someone told me that it has to do with fermentation of sugars in the body. I am having trouble finding information on this, and would appreciate any help!
Answer:
According to the websites I just checked, high glucose levels can indeed cause an alcohol false positive. Just type in "diabetes and alcohol false positive" and sites will pop up for you. Good luck on your treatment.
I just talked to my doctor friend who works at a lab. He reports that that someone with diabetes may excrete a large amount of sugar in their urine. If they also have a yeast problem, the yeast will attack the sugar and create the chemical reaction of alcohol.
Congrats on your 37 days !You should go to an endocrinologist and get checked for diabetes.Good luck to you. Keep strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net