Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Preauricular sinuses (hole on ear)?

Um I have a question on Preauricular sinuses
I checked it up online and am not really sure what it is
Some sources say that it's a hole on a certain part of the ead, and if so, I have one too. It's been there for probably 15-16 years already, and I'm guessing it's from birth
However, I got really creeped out when I see all the infections...
I am a little scared, despite the fact that the hole hasn't been affecting me at all, except for occasional itchiness.If possible, would someone who's had experience, or know about it please help me? I don't know know what to do with it, and am wondering if it's fatal or hurtful/burdensome in any way?
Answer:
A preauricular sinus occurs is a congenital malformation that occurs due to an incomplete fusion of the branchial clefts (these are different segments that make up your face and ears). A sinus is basically a blind ending pouch. Therefore it is a route through which fluid and bacteria can accumulate and this can result in an infection. It is not fatal and if it has not been bothering you it is fine. However if there is some discharge or rash or redness, go see your doctor. It is associated with recurrent infections and can be surgically removed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net